Hosting a New Years Party? Slow cooker Mulled Spiced Wine is so simple, easy and warming your guest will keep coming back for more. I love the combination of winter spices with a hearty red wine. It just warms you up right down to your toes.
As with most of The Salty Tomato recipes …make it yours with your favorite flavors. It is hard to go wrong.
7 Tips for perfect Mulled Spiced Wine
- Careful with the cloves. Just a few can go a long way.
- Choose unsweetened fruit juices to mix with the wine so that you can control the sweetness yourself.
- Don’t boil the wine! There goes all the alcohol… A slow cooker set to low is perfect.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker heat the fruit juice and spices over the stove and mix 1/2 spiced fruit juice with 1/2 wine from the bottle for each serving.
- Chose a deep bodied red such as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Malbec.
- Don’t have brandy? Try an orange liquor or a whiskey like Grand Marnier, or Makers Mark.
- Adjust sweetness to your liking with agave nectar or sugar.
- 3 bottles Merlot or a deep bodied red wine
- 1 32 oz jar of unsweetened apple juice
- 2 oranges, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 whole nutmegs
- 10 star anise
- ¼ cup sugar or 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- ½ cup brandy
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to mix. Set slow cooker to low.
- Once mixture is warm, taste and adjust sugar or agave to liking.