I love quick breads. The best part is that they are quick! This recipe is really versatile and could be used with your favorite flavors. Cranberries and walnuts make a great Christmas morning breakfast.
My secret ingredient here is grapefruit juice! Really I only used grapefruit juice because I didn’t have any oranges in the house or orange juice. What a great combination. The grapefruit tartness really complements the zing from the cranberries.
This bread reminded me of the flavor from my Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake.
Tart, tangy, moist, crunchy and soft.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons egg replacer
- 2 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup earth balance vegan butter spread, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- ½ cup grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit zest
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 9-inch loaf pans.
- Whisk egg replacer and water together until frothy. Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl or measuring cup. In a mixer fitted with a beater attachment, combine, earth balance, grapefruit juice, sour cream, almond milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, and egg replacer. Beat at medium speed until well incorporated and smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet with mixer on low until just mixed. Add cranberries and walnuts and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture evenly between loaf pans and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow bread to fully cool before removing from pans.