Ah it’s football watching season. I just love waking up to the sound of the NFL theme song and whistles blowing on a Sunday morning at 8 o’clock. Oh wait, that’s only in Hawaii. It certainly is an adjustment getting used to waking up so early for football when you live out in the middle of the pacific.
My favorite place to watch sports is in a good bar. I love the atmosphere, cheering crowds, cold beer and greasy snacks. It is quite hard to find many vegan options besides french fries though. This is typically a flex situation where I will have cheese of some sort in the form of nachos or jalapeño poppers.
Because football comes on so early in the morning and the weather is always beckoning you outdoors, good sports bars are hard to come by in the islands. Usually we watch the morning games at home and then head to beach. Wether you are watching your alma mater on Saturday or professionals on Sunday, this vegan sour cream and onion dip pairs perfectly with a cold beer and kettle cooked potato chips. It’s gets even better after the flavors marry for a while. Make this a day or two in advance and let it chill in the refrigerator.
What are your favorite vegan football snacks? Do you like buffalo fried cauliflower?
- ¼ cup dairy-free sour cream
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of grated yellow onion (grate on the small holes of a box grater)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well incorporated. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to marry.
- Enjoy with your favorite potato chip!