If you told my grandmother that I made a pecan pie she probably wouldn’t believe you. My grandmother went out of her way to always make sweets without nuts for me. She even made a brown sugar pie once which is basically a pecan pie with everything but the pecans.
‘A Flexitarian Thanksgiving’ menu is complete! Everything thing on the table this year is vegan except for the turkey. This Skillet Pecan Pie is a delicious sweet ending.
I couldn’t stand nuts for most of my life and I have only started to love nuts in the past 2 or 3 years. A large shift to mainly vegan and vegetarian cooking almost requires you to be a fan of nuts.
This pie is rich and packed with pecans. Baking it in a cast iron skillet helps all the sugar to caramelize, plus it looks so rustic and unique. Coconut whipped cream is very easy to make and is a nice cool topping to pecan pie.
I wish you the happiest Thanksgiving, a bountiful table full of delicious food and surrounded by your favorite people. I hope some of these recipes will inspire your cooking. Enjoy!
In cased you missed the rest of the menu:
- 1 vegan pie crust, defrosted if frozen
- 6 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer
- 8 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup Earth Balance vegan butter, melted
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vanilla almond milk
- 1½ teaspoons bourbon
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 1 can of refrigerated full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Transfer pie crust to 10 inch cast iron skillet. You may need to roll out the dough on a floured surface if crust crumbles or breaks during transfer.
- Place egg replacer and water in a medium sauce pot (make sure it's large enough to hold all of the filling mixture). Over low heat, vigorously whisk together until frothy and warm. About 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add, brown sugar, melted butter, white sugar, chopped pecans and flour. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into pie crust. It is ok if it fills over the top of the crust. Gently top with pecan halves. Don't worry so much about a pretty design. The mixture is going to boil in the oven so any design will be lost.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then reduce temperature to 300 degrees. Bake for an additional 30 minutes. Turn oven off and allow pie to rest in the oven for 3 hours.
- Spoon just the creamy white thick part of the coconut milk from the top of the can into an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk on high until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar and maple syrup. Whisk until well incorporated.