In honor of Apple’s new iPhone 6 I made an apple pie. Yes, we were some of those crazy people that pre-ordered the iPhone 6 at midnight and anxiously awaited the delivery man on Friday. I LOVE the iPhone 6 Plus. And guess what???? I am writing this post from my phone at the beach! That is how clear and amazing the 5.5 inch screen is. I am shocked myself at how easy this phone is to use.
I invested in the iPhone 6 Plus because I wanted the better camera to take tasty food photos. Here are a few photos I took with the phone at the farmers market this weekend
The large screen has quickly become my second favorite feature. iOS8 also includes Pages for the iPhone. That is what I am drafting this post on.
Apple pie is one of my fall favorites.
Who doesn’t love the combination of cinnamon and apples?
I tried this recipe with store bought vegan whole wheat pie crust. I think it worked out well for a few reasons. The whole wheat dough took a little longer to brown up and that was actually beneficial since I cut the apples in fairly large chunks. It allowed for the apples to get nice and soft before the crust burnt. The flavor of the whole wheat was a nice compliment to the apples as well.
Are the leaves starting to change color and weather turning chilly where you are? That means it’s apple season!
- 2 whole wheat pie crusts, I used vegan frozen crust in pie tins
- 8 cups chopped and peeled firm apples, about 5-6 large apples, I used organic fujis
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2-4 tablespoons non-dairy milk, I used almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If using frozen pie crust remove it from the freezer to thaw while you are preparing the filling.
- Place cut apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Pour apple mixture into one of the pie crusts. Dot the top of the filling with vegan butter cut into small pieces.
- Roll out second pie crust on a floured surface and cut into strips to form lattice or cover apples with whole crust. Crimp edged to seal crust. If you used a whole crust make sure you cut vents in the top.
- Brush the top of the pie crust with almond milk.
- Tent with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees, remove foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes until filling is bubbly, apples are soft and crust is browned.