Happy Memorial Day! I couldn’t be more proud to serve in the US Navy and I am ever grateful for those who came before me. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. This an easy dinner if you have had a busy weekend and it is made with simple pantry basics.
Does anyone ever get tired of pasta? I have always loved just about any pasta dish. I am very happy that most store-bought dried pastas are vegan but there are a few out there that still have egg in them. Especially fresh pastas. So unfortunately if you are trying to eat vegan as often as possible hand-made pastas almost always have egg.
My 4 almost 5-year-old nephew is allergic to eggs. So much so that he always has to be within reach of an EpiPen. It is unfortunate that such a young child has to ask before he puts anything in his mouth. I hope that one day he grows out of his allergy and can make his own food choices as an adult.
In honor of my nephew and my attempt to eat vegan as often as possible here is a pasta dish with no egg or cheese! The flavor from the onions, thyme and white wine need no topping. I added a little vegan rice parmesan but my husband liked it just as is. Toasted garlic bread crumbs add crunch and texture.
My friends that must eat a gluten-free diet, what is your favorite pasta option?
I have tried rice pasta which isn’t bad but it definitely isn’t the real thing.
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced yellow or vidalia onions (about 2 medium sized onions)
- 1 tablespoon rough chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vegan chicken base
- 1 pound uncooked short pasta (such as fusilli or penne)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegan or regular parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a parchment lined half sheet pan toss and stir together bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1 teaspoon on garlic powder. Spread mixture evenly over pan. Bake for 6 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over low to medium heat. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil and onions. Cook for 15 minutes stirring frequently. If onion begin to burn before browning add a small splash of water to the pan and continue stirring. Add thyme and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown and soft.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder and white wine. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Add water and chicken base and stir until well to incorporated. Cook until reduced by half. About 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package in water with 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Drain and add onion mixture, ¼ cup prepared bread crumbs and crushed red pepper to pasta. Stir well and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional 1 tablespoon of prepared bread crumbs on top. Garnish with vegan or regular parmesan cheese is desired.