For years I have seen olive oil cakes on cooking shows and in magazines but I always shied away from them thinking “There is no way olive oil and cake will taste good.” Oh my goodness was I wrong! I created this amazing vegan recipe by making lots of changes to a basic egg free cake recipe and it turned out perfect. The olive oil flavor is rich and complex and compliments the citrus beautifully.
I hoped that the ruby color of the oranges would transfer to the cake but the olive oil won out. The cake actually looks green when it comes out of the oven! Using a very high quality, fruity olive oil is very very important.
The cake will be dominated by the olive oil flavor if you use one that is too savory. I recommend California olive oils and California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil in particular. It has a wonderful, fruity and floral flavor.
So don’t be afraid of olive oil in your dessert and as the blood orange season comes to an end, this vegan cake is a great way to use the last of winter seasons fruit.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup blood orange juice (about 3 medium oranges)
- ¼ cup ruby grapefruit juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil such as California Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon blood orange zest
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cake pan or small bundt pan with olive oil and dust with flour.
- Whisk dry ingredients, flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt together.
- In a separate bowl stir wet ingredients, blood orange juice, grapefruit juice, olive oil, zest, vinegar and vanilla together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minuets. Run knife around the edge of the pan and turn cake out onto plate. Allow to cool for an additional 5 minutes.
- Dust top of cake with powdered sugar.
Disclaimer: I use affiliate links on this page and I will earn a commission at no cost to you. I promise to only link to products I think are of the highest quality. Enjoy!