When I made the switch to flexitarian, removing bacon and eggs from my breakfast menu was very challenging. I still love both but I honestly can’t remember the last time I ate a piece of bacon or fried an egg. I am going to indulge in deviled eggs for Easter this year. Stay tuned for the vegetarian moment recipe!
Tofu is an excellent egg stand in for many breakfast dishes. (Breakfast Fried Rice is unique and has a distinctive eggy in texture.) There are two things that help doctor up tofu to taste like egg – Nutritional Yeast and Kala Namak Salt – Indian Black Salt.
I was unable to find Indian Black Salt in my natural foods store so I ordered it online. Indian Black Salt has a sulfur aroma that mimics eggs.
Nutritional Yeast sounds quite intimidating to the average carnivore. It is deactivated yeast that is dried into a flake form. It is often fortified with B12 vitamin with is a much needed nutrient for vegans. It has a “cheese” like, nutty flavor. I use the descriptor “cheese” like very carefully here. I don’t think any vegan cheese taste anything remotely like the real thing. Take it as it’s own product.
My best friend has been a vegetarian since we were teenagers and I am kicking myself for not following her lead earlier in life. This recipe originates from her kitchen. Using frozen vegetables and jarred salsa, I almost always have the ingredients on hand. Served with tortilla chips, Rancheros Tofu Scramble is a filling hearty breakfast.
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon Indian Black Salt
- 1 cup frozen vegetable blend, defrosted and drained
- ½ cup salsa
- Tortilla chips
- Vegan Cheese
- Drain tofu. Slice into ¼ inch think slices and lay in the middle of a clean kitchen towel. Wrap slices in towel and firmly press all of the liquid from the tofu.
- Crumble dried tofu with your hands and set aside.
- Sautee onion and garlic with olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Once onions start to brown, add tofu to the pan with nutritional yeast, and Indian Black salt. Stir to combine
- Add thawed vegetables and salsa and stir.
- Cook until almost all of the water from the salsa has evaporated.
- Serve with tortilla chips and garnish with avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream or vegan cheese.