Welcome to Meatless Monday on The Salty Tomato! Starting with one day a week that is meatless is a perfect way to start a flexitarian lifestyle. I will make every effort to keep carnivore moments to days other than Monday to help you on your way. Pasta is an easy and simple weeknight dinner but with mushrooms and radicchio, pasta is transformed.
Despite all of the technology I use in my daily life, magazines are one of my simple pleasures that I keep in the paper version. I have tried reading electronic versions of magazines but it’s not the same. A magazine’s glossy visual representation of food, in particular, looses much of its rich appeal on an iPad or Kindle. I get most of my recipe inspiration or ideas from magazines. My favorites are Veg News, Cooks Illustrated, Southern Living, Vegetarian Times and Sunset just to name a few.
Southern Living Magazine is how I stay connected to my extended family in North Carolina and Virginia. Every year for Christmas my grandmother renews a subscription for me and I think of her every month when it comes in the mail. Cooking ideas from Southern Living have gotten increasingly hard for me to integrate into a vegan and flexitarian kitchen. It is quite a challenge to make traditional Southern food vegan but by gosh I try.
This recipe was inspired by the March 2014 issue of Real Simple Magazine, “10 Ideas For: Spaghetti.” Radicchio is a vegetable I don’t think I had ever purchased. The only time I have had radicchio was in salad mixes and I was normally turned off by its very strong bitter and peppery flavor. This recipe has changed my mind about radicchio. Mixed with warm pasta it is transformed and becomes a tender but spicy contrasting flavor. This very easy and dare I say “real simple” vegan weeknight dinner idea is unique, comforting and delicious!
- 1 pound of pasta
- 1 pint of baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 small head of radicchio, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Cook mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat until golden brown, 7-10 minutes. Add crushed red pepper to mushrooms after 5 minutes. If pan gets dry from mushrooms absorbing oil, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix all ingredients with cooked drained pasta. Salt and pepper to taste.