“I like them crispy.” says my husband. That has been a theme lately. He likes things crispy! I do to. Crispy means browned, caramelized and delicious. We were having a vegan barbecue with veggie burgers and dogs on the night I came up with this recipe for oven fries and they were an excellent and crispy side dish.The Sriracha mayonnaise dipping sauce is what really sends these oven fries into the addictive category. I have a few versions of this sauce. You can find the original recipe in the Sweet Potato and Mushroom Fajitas post. This version I added horseradish which lends a cool in the back-of-your-throat spice while the Sriracha is a front-of-your-tongue-heat spice all balanced with lemon and creamy mayonnaise.
I planted a small thyme plant about three weeks ago and it has really taken off. New stems seem to form everyday. Aromatic garlic and lemony thyme pair perfectly with oven fries. This recipe would be fantastic with sweet potatoes too. I would love to hear how other types of potatoes work with this recipe. What is your favorite oven potato?
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed or fine chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and rough chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash potatoes throughly and remove the eyes with a pairing knife. Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise, and slice into wedges.
- Toss potatoes with garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper on a large baking sheet. Ensure all potatoes are coated with oil and that the potatoes are spread evenly over the pan and not touching each other.
- Bake for 30 minutes then stir potatoes on the pan. Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are a golden brown.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (eggless or regular both work)
- ½ large lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust Sriracha, horseradish and ketchup to taste.