Welcome to the new and improved The Salty Tomato! We are celebrating with my favorite dessert, Key Lime Pie. Ok, so it’s a Key Lime Avocado Pie and not really a true Key Lime Pie but it is delicious and so much healthier. I know anyone from Florida is probably gasping in disbelief seeing key lime and avocado in the same recipe title. I order Key Lime Pie almost anytime I see it on the menu and I would say that I am a self proclaimed aficionado of Key Lime Pies and this vegan version is pretty good. The avocado has a wonderful creaminess that mimics sweetened condensed milk and is easily adjusted to your taste as far as limeyness goes. Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice
is my go to key lime juice. I have been using it for years and I almost always find it in the supermarket. I stuck to a traditional graham cracker crust but there are many recipes out there for nut based crusts if you are looking for a gluten free option.
Ok so back to the new blog! This past weekend I took the leap from Blogger to a self hosting WordPress.org website. I chose BlueHost for my hosting platform and I have been very happy so far. I have made lots of style changes which I hope make the site more welcoming and easy to read. Further updates are still in progress and I appreciate your understanding as I work through the kinks. Please let me know what you think of the new design. Here is what is coming soon:
-Recipe cards for all recipes that are easily shared or printed.
-A recipe box of all The Salty Tomato recipes that you can easily reference anytime.
-Updated advertisements that are targeted to foodies.
As Valentine’s Day approaches, this recipe can easily be tailored to individual sized tarts in a muffin tin or mini spring forms. It freezes beautifully so having lots of leftovers is a good thing!
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 1 package of whole crackers)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter or butter
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup key lime or lime juice (Nellie and Joe's is my favorite key lime juice but regular lime juice will work too.)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crumble graham crackers in a food processor if using whole crackers. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl. Press mixture into the bottom of a standard 12 inch spring form pan. Bake for 9 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool completely.
- Place all filling ingredients in bowl of a food processor or strong blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Adjust lime juice and agave to taste. Fill graham cracker crust with filling and smooth with a spatula.
- Freeze pie for at least 2 hours. Allow to sit a room temperature for about 10 minutes prior to cutting.
Disclosure: There are Amazon Affliate and Bluehost Affiliate links on this site.